Pages - Menu

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What's your favourite line?

What did you think when you read the title of this post? Was it, favourite pick-up line? Favourite line in a song, movie line, or something else?

For me, the above question would probably be answered as a 'line in a movie' (I was never good at pick up lines anyway). "Hey baby, you know I'm in a band". "Well, no, we don't actually play anywhere". "Just two of us ... we both play guitar". "Songs? Not really any that are very good."

Funnily enough this post IS about song lines (movie lines is for another time!). What's your favourite, most interesting, thought-provoking, funny, or just plain weird line from a song? "What were these guys on, man?" Well some were on plenty, apparently. Just look at these two below:


My early 90's attempt at a band - KD Gorillas. KD stood for Knuckle Dragging, so no, it wasn't a dig at K.D. Lang (unless her name is Knuckle Dragging Lang). 
I'd probably never even heard of her at the time. Just like she'd never heard of us!



Below are some of the lines that I get something from (and there's so many more - I know I'll be adding them as I remember them). The Holy Grail, of course, is a song with great lyrics that also sounds great. Not all of the songs below fit that criteria, but some certainly do!

 

Love to know what song lyrics you like:

*Note, where posible, I've linked to YouTube - Official music videos, so it's your choice whether you want to go there. Some of the videos and comments may not be to your liking, but I've got no control of that (or the occasional ad).



Got a gun, fact I got two. That's ok man, cuz I love God.
Glorified version of a pellet gun. Feels so manly, when armed 
Eddie Vedder, Glorified G

I said, baby, do you have no shame? 
She just looked at me, uncomprehendingly, like cows at a passing train 
Don Henley, If Dirt Were Dollars

All around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces.
Bright and early for their daily races, going nowhere, going nowhere 
Tears for Fears, Mad World (I chose the Donny Darko version)

We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school  
Bruce Springsteen, No Surrender

I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it
Now the child is grown, the dream is gone 
I have become comfortably numb
Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb

Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you do the fandango  
Freddie Mercury, Bohemian Rhapsody 

Just slip out the back, Jack, make a new plan, Stan, you don't need to be coy, Roy, just get yourself free. 
Hop on the bus, Gus, you don't need to discuss much, just drop off the key, Lee, and get yourself free 
Paul Simon, 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover


Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back  
Nirvana, Heart Shaped Box

Ambition makes you look pretty ugly, kickin squealin gucci little piggy  
Radiohead, Paranoid android

A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle 
U2, Trying to throw your arms around the world

The future's so bright, that I've gotta wear shades 

Timbuk 3, The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight and I'm going to drink till I get my fill,
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it, but I probably will,
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of, 
well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister, but boring stories of glory days 
Bruce Springstein, Glory Days

Freedom, well, that's just some people talking. Your prison is walking through this world all alone
The Eagles, Desperado

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage 
The Smashing Pumpkins, Bullet with butterfly wings

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls 
Simon and Garfunkel, The Sound Of Silence

Love in an elevator, Livin' it up when I'm goin' down
Love in an elevator
, Lovin' it up 'til I hit the ground 
Aerosmith, Love in an elevator

Then one day you find, ten years have got behind you. 
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun 
Pink Floyd, Time

Got a wife and kids in Baltimore Jack, I went out for a ride and I never went back
Like a river that don't know where it's flowing, I took a wrong turn and I just kept going 
Bruce Springstein, Hungry Heart 

You can't always get what you want, 
but if you try sometime you just might find, you get what you need 
The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want 

We all want something beautiful,
Man, I wish I was beautiful
Counting Crows, Mr Jones

There's something wrong with the world today, this lightbulbs getting dim, there's meltdown in the sky.
If you can tell a wise man by the color of his skin, then mister your a better man than I.
Aerosmith - Livin on the edge

See the nice boys - dancing in pairs, Golden earring golden tan, Blow-wave in the hair 
Sure they're all straight - straight as a line, All the gays are macho, Can't you see their leather shine 
Joe Jackson, Real Men (actually, the song is filled with great lines)

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. Nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's free 
Kris Kristofferson, Me And Bobby McGee


It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine

No fight left or so it seems, I am a man whose dreams have all deserted
I've changed my face, I've changed my name, But no one wants you when you lose 
Peter Gabriel, Don't Give Up

The preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side. 
And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran twenty red-lights in his name
The Rolling Stones, Far Away Eyes


You wear nothing but you wear it so well
Dave Matthews Band, Crash into me

I swear I recognize your breath, Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising,
Me, you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former, It's hard when you're stuck upon the shelf
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year
Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

You better start swimming or sink like a stone, cause the times they are a-changing
Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin'

I want to be with you everywhere
Fleetwood Mac, Everywhere

I will hold the candle til it burns up my arm,
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired,
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind,
Hey I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind,
How much difference does it make?
Pearl Jam, Indifference

You bought a guitar to punish your Mom

Love, I get lost sometimes. Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart.  
When I want to run away I drive off in my car,
But whichever way I go, I come back to the place you are
Peter Gabriel, In your eyes

So that's it from me, for now - I'd love to know your lines, if you have any. My wife's already reminded me about a number of Beatles songs. Myself, linking to all these videos makes me want to investigate the great music videos that are out there ...

2 comments:

  1. "Eight years went by, eight long years of waiting
    Till one day a tall stranger appeared in the land
    And he came with lawyers and he came with great ceremony
    And through Vincent's fingers poured a handful of sand

    From little things big things grow
    From little things big things grow"

    Paul Kelly, Kev Carmody, From Little Things Big Things Grow

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied", Alice in Chains, Down in a hole
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8hT3oDDf6c

    ReplyDelete