Pages - Menu

Monday, August 12, 2013

Dad, you take too long

My 6 year old son asked me why it took me so long to write my stories.

You see, he had just finished writing his story. It took him about an hour. It's called Star Jammer and it's three chapters long. I thought I'd share it here.

In school they seem to teach kids to spell by the way the word sounds. So while he can read the proper words quite well, when he spells it often has no resemblance to the way the word is actually spelt. I suppose it's a bit like me being able to understand my parents when they speak Polish, but I can't really speak it myself.

Here are his chapters (see if you can make out the words):


Star Jammer: Chapter 1
Once upon a time there was a battle between Blue and Red. They fought to the end of the world. They sacrificed themselves.





Star Jammer - 2
The troopers sacrificed themselves. [drawing of troopers] Now they have done the right thing to do.

Star Jammer - 3
They too fought new ????(we couldn't figure this word out) for Blue team.


So there you have it. If anyone can work out what "uciets" means I'd love to know. Jamie wrote this a while a go and couldn't remember, but he did read every other word! In fact, talking to his teacher recently, she is able to read and understand all these crazy words the kids come up with. I'm wondering if this isn't some weird teacher conspiracy - developing some sort of underground language for reasons I can't even imagine ... hmmm.


Oh, and to answer my son's question question about why it takes me so long to finish my books: Editing. Lots of editing.


COPYRIGHT
Creative Commons License
Journey into Stuff by Jeff Bilman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Please note, visitors to this website are solely responsible for the information they post. Any posting of copyrighted material is strictly prohibited and the owner of this website shall not be responsible for any copyrighted material uploaded by third parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment