Pages - Menu

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Talent is overrated

I haven't blogged in a while. In fact, I haven't even checked the website for months. So finally, today, when I did, I was excited to see in my list of draft blog posts the title "Talent is overrated".

Wow, I thought, I can't wait to read what I've written so far ... hmmm ...  it was blank. So much for all those great insights.

But when I think about it - I do have some insights - it's just that I've been too busy to write them down. And that is one of the reasons I haven't posted for so long.  I HAVE BEEN FAR TOO BUSY.

And THAT is the point. This past year I have been working my guts out - PRIORITIZING (yes, I'm yelling) - focusing on what is really important to me from a "work" perspective. The reason I put the word work in quotes is because:

1. I want to distinguish it from other equally important elements such as family.
2. Some might not consider writing books or composing music to be "work". They are a passion, yes, self-indulgent, perhaps, but they are also hard work and sometimes they drive me nuts.

But anyway, this post is about talent - and in particular - to creativity.



People tend to say "gee, he's really talented", or "she's so creative" and you know, maybe naturally they are. And to tell you the truth, I think I have some natural strengths in terms of creativity too (whilst, on the other hand, being a terrible dancer).

But that initial idea, that spark of creativity, is only the starting point. It then has to be nurtured, worked on. And that's where people who believe they lack the creative talent fail. They don't understand that it is only the beginning. That idea, or piece of work, is gone over and over and over - worked to the point of it driving you nuts (unlike this blog post, which I am trying to write as quickly as possible).

So, in a nutshell:

Talent is over-rated.

The less appealing concepts of hard work and persistance are more important.

Creativity = Persistance.

That's all I have time for at the moment as I get back to doing something I have wanted to do for over 20 years - write an album. It's been hard. I don't feel I'm as naturally musically inclined as I am with creative writing, but I have persisted and I have seen the vast improvements in the songs. I'll let you know when they are done.





1 comment:

  1. Ps. the songs were done. The album completed. They were going to be part of a "Rock Opera" stage musical of sorts based on my middle grade fiction books. It was going to be called: "Super Ninja: The Rock Opera". I still really want to do it even all these years later, but there's only so many hours in the day. Plus I'm working on a mainstream album so ... priorities.

    ReplyDelete